It’s been a major postseason for the Arkansas Razorbacks baseball as they announced on social media that second base player Robert Moore has received the Rawlings Gold Glove Award. Moore is the first player in the history of Arkansas Razorback baseball to receive the honor.
Given out since 1957, the Gold Glove honors the best defenders at each position in each league. 75 percent of the selection process is made by major league managers and coaches who vote only within their league. Coaches and managers are unable to vote for players on their own teams. The other 25 percent goes to the sabermetrics community.
What is sabermetrics or SABR? For those of you unfamiliar with the fascinating world of baseball statistics, the SABR community is made up of more than 6,000 members around the world. SABR is a membership organization comprised of passionate and knowledgeable baseball fans with a variety of interests — one of them being statistical analysis.
Since 1958, separate American League and National League Gold Gloves have been awarded to outstanding players. After this year’s amazing postseason success for this Arkansas Razorback baseball team something tells us that there may be many more gold glove recipients coming out of this team in the near future.
Image Courtesy of Arkansas Razorbacks Baseball